Let me start by saying this is a “pro-gun” blog entry. If you don’t like it, or if guns offend you, get the fuck off my page. I apologize for the language, but I’m pissed off. I’m sick of being vilified by the media because I own firearms. I am not a monster. I have a beautiful wife, three awesome dogs, and new baby girl on the way. I’m a family man, not a criminal.
I could write an entire book about gun rights, the 2nd amendment, and what not, but that’s not the point of this. I simply want to dispel some myths about the AR-15 the media likes to throw around. Yes, NBC, CBS, ABC, and Fox, I’m talking to you.
I had plans on writing this whole elaborate comparison between the AR-15 and other semiauto rifles, but I came across a Facebook posting from a gun company called Bravo Company USA. Their description was perfect and I really couldn’t have said it better myself. So, here it is. Bravo Company, if you don’t want this reposted on a personal blog, please let me know and I’ll take it down.
Please share this information on your Facebook page in the hope that other folks in the “I support the 2nd Amendment, but don’t want people to have AR-15 rifles” crowd get a better real understanding of the issues at stake. If we don’t get these folks involved on our side, the 2nd Amendment will eventually be complete eroded. There is so much misinformation put out there by the gun-grabbers and then repeated by the media. Let’s take a moment to clear up some of that misinformation.
1) Civilian AR-15s are NOT the same automatic weapons the military uses. The military has fully automatic weapons. Civilian AR-15s in production do NOT. The shoot one shot per trigger pull, just like a semi auto hunting rifle. I know often when the media makes commentary, they show B-roll video in the background of a machine gun shooting and spraying, but that is NOT how civilian AR-15s operate.
2) Civilian AR-15s (or similar) have the same type of internals as your semi auto deer rifle. Civilian type “assault rifles” function the exact same way as deer hunting rifles. They just look different.
The above picture is a semi auto hunting rifle and a mean AR-15. The ONLY difference between the two is looks. They function exactly the same.
3) Even the term “assault rifle” is gun-grabber sensationalism parroted by the media. “Assault” weapons are fully automatic (select fire), and they have been heavily regulated since the 1930s, and civilian manufacturing has been completely outlawed 30 years ago!
4) “AK-47s” have already been banned from manufacture from civilians, also almost 30 years ago. Again, the civilian look-alike-rifles have the same type of semi auto internals as your hunting rifle. Different cosmetics, same type of mechanics.
5) An AR-15 (or similar) is NOT a “high-powered rifle.” I guess it depends on what you want to categorize as “high power,” but these rifles shoot some of the smallest rifle cartridges in the market. Deer rifles are a LOT more powerful than any of these rifles. And soon the gun-grabbing crowd will recategorize your deer rifle as a “high-powered sniper rifle.” That is how this political movement works. (in fact, in a lot of states the .223 AR-15 round is not even legal to hunt deer with!)
6) A hunting shotgun is a LOT more lethal in these close-quarter mass killings of unarmed innocent people than any semi auto rifle. Anyone with extensive firearms training and experience will confirm that.
The politicians know these new laws will NOT stop these types of mass killings. They even admit it! But they want to pass them anyway because it serves their greater mission of effectively neutering the 2nd Amendment. The leaders in this movement actually DON’T WANT these laws to work (even if they would) because when they are shown ineffective, they now have the political momentum to pass more ineffective laws, and grab more guns.
This is all part of a broader gun grab, done slowly, in increments, over time, until the 2nd Amendment is just a bunch of meaningless outdated words on an old piece of parchment.
When a sociopath chooses that shotgun or hunting rifle in the next horrific event, you are the legislature’s next target.
The philosophy of “We need to pass more laws to stop sociopathic criminals from breaking our laws” is effective because most Americans are not really paying attention to these details. (Please read that line twice.) Please help to educate the public with this information.
Also it should be noted, the 2nd Amendment has NOTHING to do with hunting, fishing, competitive shooting, “sporting purposes,” racquet ball, swimming, camping, etc. The 2nd Amendment (and the entire Bill of Rights) is to preserve a balance of power between the citizens and their government.
So, there you have it. Now, if you want to argue these merits with me, bring it on. The gloves are off. Remember, though, to be prepared. If you want to argue, you will get everything I have. I promise you.